This Policy covers this website and any other website or service that links directly to this website (collectively, the "Site").
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal and business contact information. When you access our Site, or submit any personal and business contact information to us by any means, your information will be managed in accordance with this Policy. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is to not use our Site or use our services. By accessing or using this Site or using our services, you consent to this Policy. Our Policy may change from time to time. Your continued use of the Site after we make changes to the Site is deemed to be acceptance of those changes.
This Policy applies to any information we receive, maintain or collect from individuals who visit our Site or use our services. The Policy applies only to our activities that are subject to the provisions of Canada's federal and provincial privacy legislation.
Our Policy applies to information we collect:
- Through your interaction on this Site;
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and Access personnel;
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Site;
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Site.
What Information is Collected?
We collect several types of information, including personal information and business contact information.
"personal information" means identifiable information about an individual that, by itself or in conjunction with other information, may be used to specifically identify or contact an individual, but does not include Business Contact Information.
"business contact information" means any information that is used for the purpose of communicating or facilitating communication with an individual in relation to their employment, business or profession such as the individual's name, position name or title, work address, or work telephone number.
We collect, use and maintain different types of personal information about individuals with whom we interact. Personal Information includes but is not limited to:
- Contact and identification information, such as name, address, home telephone number and personal email address;
- Product and service-related information, including account information or energy usage information;
- Information that individuals provide to us directly, by completing surveys, entering contests or providing comments;
- Credit and financial information, such as billing and credit history or payment history;
- Customer relationship information, such as customer service requests, voicemail recordings of customer service calls, or account history;
- Information that is publicly available about the individual.
We may also collect and use personal information and business contact information that individuals have provided to our subsidiaries, affiliates, business partners and/or businesses related to us.
How is Information collected?
We collect personal and business contact information:
- Directly from individuals when it is provided to us, including personal information;
- Product and service-related information, including account information or energy usage information;
- When individuals access or use our services or devices;
- Automatically as individuals navigate through the Site;
- From third parties or publicly available sources (e.g. from social media services, forums, commercially available services, etc.)
If an individual accesses the Site through a service or another website, app, service or log-in ("Other Service"), the information we collect may also include the individuals user ID and/or user name associated with that Other Service, any information or content Other Service is permitted to share with us, such as a profile picture, email address or friends' lists, and any information made public in connection with that Other Service (collectively, "Additional Content"). When accessing our Site through Other Services, individuals authorize us to collect, store, and use any and all Additional Content in accordance with this Policy. We may also share information that we collect about you with Other Services with whom we partner with or advertise on.
We may provide you the ability to submit reviews, comment on or rate goods, products and services on our Site. Any information provided by individuals in this regard may be published on our Site.
When you visit our Site, we may automatically collect your internet service provider's address, the web page from which you came, and a record of your activity on our Site. We do this using cookies, log files and web beacons ("automatic data collection tools" or "data collection technologies"). We may also allow certain trusted third-party providers to utilize cookies to analyze how users use our Site. We may use "session cookies" (cookies that last until you close your browser) or "persistent cookies" (cookies that last until you or your browser deletes them). If you are concerned about cookies, most browsers permit individuals to opt out of cookies by visiting the browser's settings.
Why We Collect Information
We and service providers acting on our behalf collect, use, and disclose personal information and business contact information for the following purposes:
Delivery of Products or Services
- Verifying credit worthiness by obtaining credit score;
- Processing transactions conducted through our Site.
- Customer Relations
- Establishing, managing and terminating business relations;
- Informing of products and services we, or trusted third parties, may wish to offer, other than those specifically requested;
- Enabling participation in general promotions, sweepstakes, contests, games, special events, blogs and chats;
- Reviewing the effectiveness of the products and services that we provide;
- Providing special promotions or services;
- Answering customer requests or questions;
- Improving and customizing the content of our Site.
Protecting Our Business and Fulfilling Our Legal Obligations
- Protecting us against error, fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- Complying with applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- Cooperating with government authorities, including the police, pursuant to a legal matter.
- Creating aggregated or analytic information;
- Tracking and analyzing our business trends and patterns for market research related purposes;
- Providing this information to third parties.
We may use energy consumption information for customer support, system restoration, and research and development activities for new products and services, and other similar purposes. We may also provide certain usage information to selected third parties, such as our business partners, for marketing purposes, where we have obtained your specific consent.
We monitor and record any communications we have with you, like phone conversations and emails. This ensures that we are providing good service and meeting our regulatory and legal responsibilities.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose information that we collect or you provide as described in this Policy:
- To manage and develop our businesses and operations, including business relationships with third parties, contractors or consultants we use to develop products, services or business strategies or to assist us to establish, maintain, and manage our business relationship with you, such as marketing our products and services or contacting you regarding our products and services;
- For regular reporting activities to our affiliates in and outside of Canada;
- To protect our rights and property or protect the safety of a person or a group of persons;
- To a third party, in the event of a change in ownership, in which information of individuals held by us is among the assets transferred.
We require our third-party providers to enter into contractual agreements, which will generally require these third-party providers to comply with similar confidentiality and data security standards as Access and prohibit them from further disclosing or using your information other than to carry out the purposes for which the information was disclosed by us.
On rare occasions, we may use or disclose your information without your knowledge or consent where we are permitted or required by applicable law, court order, legal process, or regulatory requirements to do so.
We may also use, transfer, lease, sell or otherwise commercialize analytic or aggregated information for any and all purposes without further notice or obligation to you. You will not have any rights arising from the creation, collection or use of the analytic information. Although we have taken steps to anonymize the personal information, the parties to whom we disclose this analytic information may combine it with information they already have or obtain from others about you.
We may transfer or disclose certain personal information to third party service providers and to affiliated entities in connection with the performance of certain technological or administrative functions, such as data processing, data management, and data storage. Prior to transferring or making disclosures, we will take appropriate steps to ensure that these service providers safeguard and use the personal information only for authorized purposes set out in this Policy or in accordance with applicable laws.
Safeguarding, Storing, and Retaining Your Information
We will safeguard personal information and business contact information using the following methods that are appropriate for the sensitivity of the information:
- Protecting the confidentiality of all personal information when doing business internally or externally with other organizations; and
- Using appropriate and effective security safeguards, including physical, administrative, and technological safeguards, against such risks as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or destruction, regardless of the format in which it is held.
Our safeguards were developed in accordance with industry standards, yet we cannot guarantee that such safeguards are always 100% effective or that they are impenetrable from breaches, and any information you transmit to us is done so at your own risk. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site, the unauthorized use, access or disclosure of your personal information that may occur as a result of transmission over networks outside of our control, or access of encrypted information by unauthorized persons.
We retain information in accordance with our legal or business practices. Once the information is no longer required to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and no longer required or permitted to be retained for legal or business purposes, it may be destroyed or made anonymous. We do not undertake any obligation to retain your data for any particular length of time and only anticipate retaining your personal information for as long as it is useful.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
It is important to us that we collect, use or disclose your personal information only where we have your consent to do so or as provided in this Policy. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information, your consent may be express or implied. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction. For example, when you accept our products or use our services, we will assume your consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes described in this Policy. If third parties hold information about you that we require, we will endeavor to ensure the information has been collected with your consent.
By submitting your information to us or obtaining our services, you consent to the collection of and use of your information in the manner described in this Policy.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, by contacting our Privacy Officer at email@example.com. In some circumstances, a change or withdrawal of consent may limit our ability to provide products or services to you.
We reserve the right to send you transactional or informational emails such as customer service communications or bills in connection with the products you have purchased or changes to this site or our policies.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can ask to see the personal information that we hold about you. If you want to review, verify or correct your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that any such communications must be in writing.
When making an access request, we may require specific information from you to confirm your identity and right to access, as well as to search for, and provide you with, the personal information that we hold about you. We may charge you a fee to access your personal information in instances that require a disproportionate effort but we will advise you of any fee in advance. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous or unreasonably repetitive, risk the privacy of others, or are extremely impractical. If you need help in preparing your request, please contact our Privacy Officer.
We may from time to time make changes to this Policy to reflect changes in legal or regulatory obligations or changes in the manner in which we deal with your information. We will post any revised version of this Policy on the Site. Any changes to this Policy will be effective from the time they are posted.
This Policy does not create or confer on any individual or on us any rights, or impose on us any obligations beyond any rights conferred or obligations imposed by Canadian privacy legislation.